Q: after replacing belt, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley tahoe still sqeaks in the morning?

asked by on May 24, 2017

My mechanic had me replace the serpentine belt, the idler pulley, and the tensioner pulley but my tahoe still squeaks int he morning as though it has a belt issue. It stops once it has warmed up (dew has dried off). What else could it be? It doesn't get louder as i am driving or accelerating(like a drive shaft would do), it does it in idle as well as when driving (like as though I needed to replace the belt.)

At the next cold start, try this: Take a spray bottle with some water and spray the belt then start it. If you hear the noise, then the problem may not be with the belt or tensioner. If you do hear it, then it’s possible that one of the pulleys (a/c,water pump,etc) may be slightly glazed or out of round. It’s also possible that a bearing, such as in the water pump, alternator, or a/c compressor clutch may be the issue. Sometimes a bearing that is on it’s way to failure can squeal when cold until it warms up. Alternator bearings are a common source. A mechanics stethoscope may be a good tool to locate a squealing sound. Since the noise is primarily on a cold start, the vehicle may need to sit for several hours or even overnight to get the noise to occur and found with the stethoscope.