Q: Car running below operating temp/ check engine light

asked by on July 19, 2017

Hello, so today I started my car and noticed a check engine light on the dash I took the car to get the codes pulled and came back with a P0597 code, I looked it up online and it looks like it's the thermostat, I have now noticed when the car is running it's a little below normal operating temperature. Does this mean a complete thermostat failure? The cars performance has not been affected as far as I can tell.

2015/ BMW /320i/ N20 Engine/ 75000mi

Thermostat Replacement $141.92 - $702.78 Get a Quote

Hi there. The code you’ve listed is commonly associated with a temperature control system failure - not necessarily a problem with the radiator thermostat. There are a few easy things you can do to begin the diagnostic process. Check the harness to the thermostat housing and a good connection and make sure that there is no corrosion. Check for any coolant leaks that are visible to see. Check the coolant level and make sure it is clean in color. If everything seems to be in order, then the thermostat has likely failed and should be replaced.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr