Q: Windshield cracked while parked indoors

The windshield in my 2013 Mazda CX-5 now has a huge crack from the bottom right corner right through the middle. This just appeared one morning after the car was parked in my garage overnight. It’s a private garage and nothing fell on it. I don’t see any legitimate source for the crack. I think the windshield was defective. Not a good look for a new car with 33,000 miles on it. Is there any way to get the manufacturer to replace a defective part like this?

A: Hello. While having a cracked windshield is...

Hello. While having a cracked windshield is bothersome, the only time a manufacturer will cover a piece of glass is if it has a stress crack, with no signs of a stone chip or signs of impact. If you don’t see any stone chips at any point along the crack, I would suggest using a digital camera and zoom in on the crack and inspect the cracks for any signs of impact. If no signs of impact are found, you can take it to the dealer, they will be the ones to decide. Glass on newer cars is actually thinner than glass of the past. The reason the glass is thinner is to reduce the overall weight of the vehicle. To get their CAFE (Combined Automobile Fleet Emissions) standard up, a lot of lighter materials are being used in the construction of a vehicle including the glass. All auto manufactures are seeing increased cracks in windshields from impacts. Another factor that causes damage is rapid change in temperature. If, for example, you have a stone chip on the windshield, turning on the defroster on a cold morning can cause the windshield to crack. To get an independent look at your glass call out a glass expert for an inspection.