Q: Q: Engine will turn over but will not start.

i changed spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor and it ran rough when shifting into 3rd and 4th gear. i changed the fuel filter and it was still the same then it quit running. i changed the in tank fuel pumps and the tanks and the fuel lines up to the fuel filter and it still wont start. i checked regular ignition wires and made sure if there was a crack in them to tape them up, but it still wont start. it turns over fast like the timing is retarded but i turn the distributor a few times just to makes sure its not the timing but it still sounds the same. i also sprayed some starting fluid in the intake manifold but it wont crank. please help, Ethan

Hello there, many common faults will cause your 1985 Ford F-250 to crank but not start. You have done great so far in inspecting the vehicle and changing the spark plug wires, fuel pumps, and filters.

There are a few other possibilities that will prevent the truck from starting, the most common are the coil, ignition timing, battery, battery cables, starter, or a wiring harness fault.

Given that many parts have been replaced and the issue still remains this truck will need diagnosed properly before any more work is done. To avoid any unnecessary repairs, a qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your crank no start issues and make any repairs required to get your truck running again.

3. Q: Engine will turn over but will not start.