Q: The car shut off at the traffic light, difficulty accelerating

asked by on June 15, 2016

On one occasion, I was driving and my car died out in the middle of the road. It happened at the traffic light. I stopped the car and when I attempted to accelerate, it died out. I took it to a shop and was told it is an ESP malfunction. After that, there were occasional shutoffs but only for a moment. However, the car now has startup issues. I would sometimes try to turn it on for about 20 seconds. I once put the cleaner in the engine, which helped with the startup. I don't know if that solved the issue though. My car still has trouble increasing the speed. The revving wouldn't go over 3800 RPM. What could be causing these problems? What should I check next? Thanks.

Hello there, ESP will generally not cause the vehicle to die. It sounds like you have a few issues with the lack of power, starting, and the car dying. A few items can cause all three of these. Most common would be the fuel pump, fuel injector, exhaust leak, oxygen sensor, or mass air flow sensor. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your stalling issue and perform any repairs required.