Automatic transmission isn't shifting. 1970 transmissions...

Q: Automatic transmission isn't shifting.

The automatic stick shift isn't shifting. I was told by a mechanic, within the last year, that the transmission was okay. I'm thinking it could have something to do with the automatic clutch.

It is possible that the air actuated clutch is at fault but in the service manual there is a note the even though there is no adjustment to the shift linkage, excessive play due to worn parts or a loosely connected shift linkage to the inner shift lever at the rear of the transaxle can cause hard to no shifting issues. A linkage joints should be lubricated as well. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, like one from YouMechanic, to inspect the shift linkage and inspect the actuation of the automatic clutch.