Q: If I take my foot up off the as it might shoot forward

asked by on November 03, 2015

I have a 2011 Subaru Forester with an automatic transmission. This car now has a very scary problem where it actually accelerates a little when I take my foot off of the gas and put it down on the brake. At first I thought the brakes were too rough and making the car lurch to a stop. Turns out it is actually way worse! What do I do about this? Is this thing even safe to drive? I hope it isn’t a lemon, I only have 21,000 miles on it.

Hello! Thank you for writing in with this question and concern. A surge like this could be caused by any number of electrical sensors (intake temperature sensor, throttle position sensor, etc.). It could also be caused by a mechanical malfunction in the fuel system (pump or injectors). Does the Check Engine Light illuminate? If so, a professional from YourMechanic can scan the vehicle computers for codes to track down the problem.