Q: 2014 Nissan Alltima 53,000 miles, had brakes replacedo about 16 months ago, now I am told I need brakes again?? $720.00 This does

asked by on March 30, 2017

My car had brakes replaced about 1 1/2 yrs ago, and a battery put in. This is my 6th Alltima and never needed to do anything except oil changes and routine service! This makes no sense to me, Just Brakes wants $720.00, this does not seem to me that replacing the brakes again in a 3 yr old car is doing anything to determine why I should need them , of course it fixes what's wrong at the moment , but at 53,000 miles a 2nd set?? Help!!

Brake pads are replaced when the amount of friction material on the pad falls below a certain minimum depth, generally around 1 to 2 millimeter depth of pad material. You should first confirm that the pads are actually worn to that point. It is easy to see visually if you ask the Mechanic to show you the depth of remaining pad material. Premature pad wear out is due to high mileage, lots of stop and go city driving, frequent brake overheating, use of non-OEM pad material, failure to properly re-surface the brake rotor when new pads are installed and sticky or stuck brake calipers. When brake pads are replaced, the brake rotors must be properly resurfaced or replaced, and sometimes the brake calipers will have to be replaced. If you would like an evaluation of your vehicle’s brake system, performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a brake safety inspection and the responding certified mechanic will address any and all concerns that you may have as well as give you a competitive quote on brake replacement that will be much lower than the $720 that you were quoted. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.