Q: how to remove the spring loaded belt tensioner the serpentine belt is kept tight with.

i replaced the serpentine belt a year ago and now the belt is so loose that i can easily grasp it between my thumb and finger and can turn it 180 degrees plus between the two top driver side pulleys.when idling my alternator is not supplying enough voltage to keep the battery fully charged.i think this is because the belt is so loose. i removed the belt and the pulley but i don't know how to remove the spring loaded piece. your advice would be greatly appreciated.a mechanic friend told me that the spring loaded tensioners can get full of debris and rust so that they no longer hold the belt tight enough.thanks in advance for your help!!! norman

Hey there. You will need to remove the entire housing that contains the spring. Belt tensioners are replaced as a unit. In the case of the 4.7L Toyota Motor, you will need to remove a couple of the plastic timing covers to allow the tensioner assembly to slide out and off of its studs. Once you remove the timing covers, you will be able to see the entire assembly and identify which bolts and nuts must be removed to remove the tensioner. You may need to remove the fan belt pulley to remove one or more of the covers. I suggest purchasing a new one first, then you will be able to see all that needs to happen. If you should need help with this project, or would simply like it to be done for you, have a certified technician from YourMechanic come to your car’s location to assist with your drive belt replacement.

3. how to remove the spring loaded belt tensioner the serpentine belt is kept tight with.