Q: How do you use the block heater?

How do you use the block heater?

If your car is equipped with a block heater (only those specifically destined for cold climates are so equipped), you have an important tool for ensuring that your car starts when the mercury plummets. The block heater keeps engine coolant warm so that the engine starts smoothly and the car’s heater works quickly. Here’s what you need to know:

• Use a UL® listed extension cord as short as possible.

• Only use one extension cord to plug in the block heater.

• Locate the wiring harness under the hood.

• Connect the extension cord.

• Run the block heater for a maximum of 3 hours when the outside temperature drops to 0 degrees F.

• Unplug the extension cord before starting the engine.

• Replace the wiring harness under the hood before starting the engine.

3. How do you use the block heater?