Q: Car won't start - replaced torque converter. 2005 Ford Expedition

Okay so I replaced my tq and when I went to start it to get the fluid through the system it wouldn't start. I found that the drivetrain was locked up (wouldn't turn by hand) so I read some forums and foud that the tq was not seated all the way and that I probably cracked the pump housing. I ordered a new pump and installed it and made sure the tq was fully seated (went back aprox 3/4 of an inch past where I had it the first time. Now the motor turns over freely by hand but it still won't start (starter engauges but doent crank). I replaced the starter figuring I might have birnt something out in the solenoid but still does the same thing. I checked the fuse and it has continuity, I checked all 3 wires from the starter as far up as my multimeter could reach and they all have continuity but I couldnt get right up to the battery terminals. The starter I bought was a reman, should I swap it out for a new one, try replacing the relay, or try replacing the starter harness?

Hi - if you are getting power to the starter solenoid - both the power cable from the battery, and the "start trigger" wire from the ignition switch, most likely the starter is no good - the solenoid at least. Your multi-meter should detect 12 volts at both the power lug and trigger lug on the solenoid body. Since you have done major work, including removal of the transmission, any chance the ground wire from the engine back to the battery and chassis are still disconnected? That would cause the symptoms you describe as well. I would suggest an inspection of the engine electrical system by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.