Q: Rear tailgate doesn't lock properly and opens while driving

asked by on May 18, 2016

I have a dangerous situation regarding my hatchback. It just won't lock, plus it opens while I'm driving. Very dangerous for my children if they are in the back, which I don't allow anymore. There's never a warning light. When it's open, you can see that the latch is already closed before closing the hatchback. My dealership tried to fix it, but nothing has changed - still won't lock and opens while traveling. What do I do!

Hello. It sounds like the first step is to have the rear tailgate ajar switch replaced. Then, have the rear tailgate latch adjusted so the door will close properly. It is also possible that the rear tailgate support shocks aren’t going down all the way when closing the rear tailgate.

The best thing to do is to have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come out and inspect the rear tailgate to pinpoint what exactly is going on.