Q: Should diesel engine shut off when i block air intake before filter.

Fiat stilo, 1.9 jtd engine, 2002. Question is regarding air filter and car air intake. I suspect the filter box is damaged. Should the engine shut off if I block air intake before the air filter. I tried and it didn't. I think it could be due to EGR valve that is just before the turbo.

A: Hi there. The air intake on today’s modern ...

Hi there. The air intake on today’s modern cars are finely tuned pieces of equipment - especially on a diesel engine. If air flow is blocked or reduced in any way, it can cause the engine to have troubles maintaining consistent RPM and may stall in some situations. The EGR valve is also a component that may be contributing to your engine issues on the Fiat. In order to determine which one is the source of your problems, have a certified professional, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the stalling problem in person so that this can be addressed properly.