Q: What should I know about driving with the spare tire on the vehicle?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What should I know about driving with the spare tire on the vehicle?

If you have to put the spare tire on your car, you’ll need to know a few things. These will help keep you safe on the road, but also help you understand a few of the things that your vehicle is telling you. Here’s what you need to know:

• The TPMS light and the Low Tire Pressure Light will come on. Eventually, the Low Tire Pressure Light will go out and only the TPMS light will stay on. This is normal. It will go out when you put the normal wheel back on the car.

• Don’t drive over 50 MPH with a spare tire on the car. If you have a full-size spare, don’t drive faster than 70 MPH.

• Don’t tow a trailer with the spare on.

• Don’t use tire chains or cables with the spare.

• Be prepared for unusual handling and stability.

• Drive cautiously and have the flat tire repaired or replaced as soon as possible.