Q: Car has sat for a month and won't start

My car won't start. The battery is new, though the car has sat for a month without being started.

It’s not uncommon for your battery to be drained down if your car sits for a month without starting. Modern vehicles have a lot of technology which requires a lot of computers. Those computers have what is called keep alive memory, not to mention various theft devices that are left on constantly. When items remain on even after shutting car off and parking this is called a parasitic drain. A small drain is expected, usually manufacture specs say no more than 65 70 ma. Now for over a month, a drain like that can take a battery down especially if it is a weak, worn or incorrect battery. Charge the battery completely and check carefully to make sure you didn’t leave anything on accidentally. To be on the safe side, a mechanic such as one from YourMechanic can inspect and repair your car’s starting system.