Q: I was just about out of gas and almost to has station when a red lightening bolt started flashing and the car started sputtering,

I was just about out of gas and almost to has station when a red lightening bolt started flashing and the car started sputtering, hard to turn the steering wheel and losing power to about 10-15 mph just rolling into the gas station the motor sounding louder and different so shut it off got gas tried to start and nothing about ten minutes go by and it starts but it sounds terrible barely any power while trying to back into a parking spot and sputtered all the way like almost dieing so had auto parts store test my car looking for codes with there machine and no luck so my car sits at gas station for the second night now i was told to try and reset the electronic throtle control system so i tried that with no change. What can i do to fix this please help im a new mom. I can still get my car started and running but I runs rough and it has no power and only goes about 25 miles an hour replaced the throttle body, spark plugs and ignition coils and still don't have a running car can you help

The red lightning bolt indicates that there is a problem wit the electronic throttle control unit. This may be for a specific reason or may be due to a slight glitch. Try resetting the throttle control unit by doing the following:

Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" position but do not start the engine Wait for all the warning lights to go out. The check engine light may remain on. Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor. Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it is all the way back up at the rest position. Turn the ignition key to "OFF" position. Start the engine and test the throttle by see if the engine will throttle up.

This is often a procedure that must be repeated in the event the battery is ever disconnected. You will also want to have the computer scanned to check for any fault codes that may have been logged as a result of the lightning bolt showing up in the dash. If this does not correct your problem, I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. I was just about out of gas and almost to has station when a red lightening bolt started flashing and the car started sputtering,