Q: Car vibrates in gear, but not in park

asked by on June 14, 2016

When I put my car in gear it starts vibrating, but when my car is in park, it runs smoothly. I recently replaced the PCV valve myself and before that replacement there were no vibrations in the car. I’m very sure that I had hooked everything back up as it was originally because I had labeled ‘everything’ to make sure that I did. The car doesn't have a check engine light. What should I check to make sure I didn't cause the problem and could it be something unrelated to my work?

Many different parts can cause a vibration when the vehicle is in drive. The most likely would be an engine mount or transmission mount. It would probably be best to have this looked at in person. A certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the vibration fault and perform any repairs required so you can get back on the road safely.