Q: How to change battery cable connectors

battery saver light comes on

A: Your Battery Saver Light comes on because y...

Your Battery Saver Light comes on because your car is seeing a lower than expected battery voltage. When you see the light, your car will turn off certain electrical loads in order to save the battery from being unable to start your car. This can be sitting in a park with the radio on, the glove box light is a common problem or you may have left another light on somewhere in the vehicle. Of course there are many different possible loads that can draw the voltage low on your battery.

Testing for a load, aka draw, requires the use of an amperage meter some knowledge of electricity. There are a number of details about checking for a draw that lead me to suggest you book an appointment with us to figure out if you actually have a draw. If it is not a draw on the battery, then the battery maybe at the end of its life. If you have ever had the battery go completely dead, this can and often does damage it. If you are in the habit of running your stereo or sit in the car with lights on etc, this can shorten the life of your battery. Most batteries last about four to five years. Your 2011 is just about there.

Along with a test for a draw in your car, aka a load test, your battery should be tested. I recommend having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic diagnose your draining battery to help you figure this out.

I don’t see the need to change you cable connectors in this case, not on a vehicle with 12,000 miles. If they are corroded, they can be taken care of during the above inspection.

Good luck! I hope this has helped you out.