Q: Car loses power and makes whirring sound when warm

asked by on July 05, 2017

Car makes a whirring sound when warm. Loses much of its power. RPMs correct for amount of pedal pushed. Sound gets louder as the accelerator is depressed.

Alternator Replacement $151.62 - $1237.14 Get a Quote

Depending on the specific type of sound, this may be related to an alternator that may be starting to fail. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr