Q: Fuel pump fuse and relay problem.

asked by on July 13, 2016

Fuse and fuel pump relay went out, replaced relay and fuses but fuses are still popping as i try to start ignition. Will turn over on 20A then immediately.

Fuel Pump Replacement $120.92 - $1186.72 Get a Quote
Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Located inside of the fuel tank is a fuel pump that requires amperage to operate. This pump can have an electrical failure that causes it to use more amps than the system is set up for. The fuel pump over time can wear out internally creating this electrical condition. The system uses a fuse to protect the wiring if the fuel pump fails.

The relay takes a low amp signal and creates a high amp path to the fuel pump, if there is to high of current draw the fuse will open and can possibly damage the relay. Wiring to the fuel pump can cause this, if the power wire is shorted to ground.

You should have this check out by a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, as a certified technician can assist you with your electrical issue and service your fuel pump as necessary.