Q: Leaf spring mount needs to be welded back on

Hello, I am looking into buying a jeep Cherokee 4.0, the only thing that is wrong with the vehicle is the rest leaf spring mount needs welded back on. I live about 30 minutes away from where this vehicle is located, would it be ok to drive it home? Also with it being broken would I need to get it fixed asap? Thank you!

A: Hi there. This is a difficult question to a...

Hi there. This is a difficult question to answer, simply because of the detailed information needed for what portion of the leaf spring mount is damaged or how damaged may have been done to the mount. In general, I’d suggest picking it up with a trailer to be on the safe side and advise against driving any vehicle with a damaged leaf spring mount - especially if it’s a front mount. If it’s damaged, you should have this fixed as soon as possible by a professional mechanic or consider buying a different vehicle. A broken mount is an indication of severe driving or abuse to the vehicle, which might lead to additional component damage.