Q: Clogged manifold intake runner bank 1 2005 Mercedes C230 Turbo

Bad carbon smell upon idling plus burning rich - code specified clogged manifold runner bank 1. The ck engine light is on. Is this expensive to fix or easy to be done by myself? I also noticed a sound that replicates a meat slicer when starting the car. The car has 200k miles otherwise ok.

A: Hi - the clogged intake is a long-term &quo...

Hi - the clogged intake is a long-term "carbon clogging" from the turbocharger/EGR valve operation. The manifold must be removed, disassembled, cleaned and reinstalled. Tedious, and requires moderate DIYr skills. Unfortunately, this is not a service YourMechanic offers at this time. The "meat slicer" noise you hear is probably the secondary air pump starting to wear out. If it is getting noisy, YM can assist you with replacing it. A mobile, YourMechanic professional will come to your location, and replace your air pump.