Q: Check Engine Light on 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring Van.

I have a 2005 Odyssey Touring Van. I used Techron fuel injector cleaner to help clean the engine. Later that same evening, my check engine light came on. I went to Valvoline to check the codes, and I was advised that it was a misfire code for all 6 cylinders. I then went to Firestone, and I was told that both of my catalytic converters and my O2 sensor needed to be replaced. Firestone had also just replaced my serpentine belt and starter over the previous 2 weeks. They could not tell me exactly which one needs to be replaced, just that all of it needed to be replaced. I advised no, then went home. Next morning, the check engine light was gone. There was no issue until 3 days later, when I filled up the tank with a higher grade gasoline. Later that day, the check engine light comes back on. Could the Techron and higher grade gasoline be causing the buildup in the engine to breakup and cause the light to come on?

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. You do not ne...

Hello, thanks for writing in. You do not need to use high grade of gasoline. The problems you are having may be due to the adding of the Techron which is causing any water in the fuel to disperse and be burned by the engine. This can cause erratic misfires and the Check Engine Light to come on.

The Techron itself should not be a problem, the possibility of water in the fuel tank is the real issue. Run the fuel you have in the tank out until you have less than 1/4 of a tank left then fill it up with regular fuel. See how the engine runs and if the Check Engine Light clears. Then drive the car to see if it comes back on. Do not do any work on the car until you do what I stated to do.

If the problem persists, have the Check Engine Light diagnosed by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, who can come service your car at the convenience of your own home.