Q: How does the tire pressure monitoring system work?

How does the tire pressure monitoring system work?

Your car’s tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is designed to help you keep an eye on the tire pressure. If the system notices a drop in pressure in a tire below a specific threshold, it will turn on the Low Tire Pressure Light on the dash. This is your signal to check all four tires and add air. You should also inspect the tire for punctures or other signs of a leak.

The TPMS system works with a series of sensors inside the wheels. You have one tire pressure sensor per wheel. If the sensor is damaged, the system will turn on the TPMS light, rather than the Low Tire Pressure Light. If you have the message center in your car, it will also display a message about a sensor problem. If there is a problem with the TPMS system itself, the TPMS light will come on and message about a system fault will be displayed on the center screen.

Tip

If you’re driving with your spare tire installed, you will see the Low Tire Pressure Light and the TPMS Light. Eventually, the Low Tire Pressure Light will turn off and leave only the TPMS Light.

3. Q: How does the tire pressure monitoring system work?