Q: Will my car fail the smog check if I have a small oil leak and antifreeze leak?

asked by on August 02, 2017

Will my car fail the smog check if it has a small oil and antifreeze leak?

Hi there. It really depends on which state you live that will determine whether these issues will cause a failed emissions or safety inspection. In states that complete a safety inspection along with emissions test, these problems can often cause a failed test. If you’re only required to have the smog levels or emissions checked to register the vehicle, the leak themselves will not typically cause a failed inspection. If the leak is creating additional smog or emissions levels however, which is possible - it can impact the test results.