Q: White smoke from the engine and smells of rubber with the knocking sound

asked by on May 20, 2016

While I was driving at night, I noticed what seemed to be white smoke from the engine. When I stopped the car, there was a loud noise coming from the engine. After opening the hood, there was white smoke coming out with the smell of burning rubber.

The engine was off but the smell persisted. The engine was not overheated as I could see on a dashboard, but was still making an unusual sound. There was a knocking noise coming from under the hood. Even though the car was turned off, the noise and smell lasted for about 20 minutes. I didn't find anything leaking. Do you have any idea what this might be?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

My guess is that you have a leak somewhere, most likely a coolant leak. Coolant leaking onto a hot engine will immediately result in white smoke. Since you stopped the vehicle before all of the coolant was lost, the vehicle did not overheat. As for the noise, I’m not sure. It could be that the engine fan was running to cool the engine down. Whatever is going on with your vehicle, it sounds quite serious. I suggest you don’t drive it until the knocking sound is inspected by a professional firsthand. YourMechanic is an excellent option since we come to you.