Are you an automotive mechanic who wants to pursue a career and gain the skills and certifications that Lexus dealerships and other service centers are searching for? Then you may want to get Lexus dealership certified. Lexus has joined with the Universal Technical Institute (UTI) to develop a program that focuses on repairing Lexus vehicles.
Toyota Professional Automotive Technician (TPAT)
UTI’s Toyota Professional Automotive Technician (TPAT) training is a 12-week course which focuses on Scion, Toyota, and Lexus vehicles and equipment. Here you will receive hands-on training on all Toyota vehicles, including the hybrid Prius. After completing your program requirements, you will have earned nine Toyota and five Lexus University of Toyota course credits. You will also receive a Toyota SPIN training ID. This tracks your Lexus and Toyota training history after you have completed the courses and earned your certificate.
What You’ll Learn
While enrolled at TPAT, you will learn fuel and emissions, electrical fundamentals, and engines. You will also encounter TPAT standards, operations and procedures that are currently used in the field.
You will receive additional training in:
- Toyota culture, traditions, and product line
- Diagnosing engine control systems
- Toyota wiring diagrams and electrical diagnostic tools
- Recovering diagnostic trouble codes
- Inspecting fuel system components and diagnosing performance concerns
- Diagnosing various electrical circuit problems, such as short and open circuits, feedback problems, and circuit resistance
- Toyota Hybrid general service procedures, including repair and safety procedures related to air conditioning diagnosis and service procedures
TPAT provides its students with hands-on experience. While enrolled, you will:
- Diagnose concerns about vehicle handling
- Perform numerous alignment methods
- Perform wheel and tire service
- Inspect suspension components
- Diagnose problems with power steering
While at TPAT, you will also receive training in Toyota Express Maintenance procedures. This includes safety and multipoint inspections, vehicle maintenance service. Also, please note that your instructors will emphasize ASE certification training and preparation throughout your time at TPAT.
Is Going to Auto Mechanic School the Right Choice for Me?
Getting certified through TPAT will ensure that you are up to date on all the newest automotive technology, including hybrid vehicles. Although it is a time commitment, you may be able to earn a salary as you attend classes. Plus, you can think of this as an investment, since your auto mechanic salary will most likely increase if you receive your TPAT certificates.
Where Can I Find a TPAT Program?
TPAT courses are offered in Sacramento, CA; Exton, PA; and Lisle, IL. Look on the UTI website for additional information on these campuses and their programs.
If you want to earn a higher salary and make yourself a more marketable mechanic, you might want to invest in auto mechanic school. Competition in the automotive industry is tough and getting tougher, with technician jobs becoming harder to find. Any time that you can add another skill set or learn more about a specific product, you will have an edge on the competition.
If you’re already a certified mechanic and you’re interested in working with YourMechanic, submit an online application for an opportunity to become a mobile mechanic.