Q: Rattling noise from the door and dashboard

asked by on May 11, 2016

My car keeps having an odd rattling noise in the dashboard and also in the driver's door. I'm frustrated because I took it to have it checked and the dealership told me that it's normal. Can this annoying problem be solved?

When it comes to rattles and noises in the doors and dash, the only way to solve them is for a mechanic to drive the car, listen to the noises and determine whether something is loose, parts are out of position, or the noise is from an electronic actuator, or normal wind noises. My suggestion, if you are under warranty, is to take the car to a different dealer to see if they say the same thing. If they do, then have an independent mechanic inspect the source of the noise and give you their diagnosis. Sometimes the dealer does not want to be bothered by these complaints and the next dealer will do everything possible to fix it.