Q: Is it dangerous to drive your vehicle when you receive the message steering assist default?

asked by on December 19, 2016

Is it dangerous to drive your vehicle once you receive the message steering assist default?

Steering wheel is hard to turn Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi - yes, it is dangerous to continue driving with a "steering assist malfunction" message showing. Many cars now utilize electrically assisted power steering. The loss of steering "assist" can also cause binding of the steering assembly, creating a "loss of control" situation which could lead to a crash. I would recommend a steering system inspection ASAP by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.