Q: My car won't engage 1st gear 2006 Audi A4

asked by on December 04, 2016

My car shakes and will not move when in first gear, it only moves when in 2nd gear. My mechanic replaced the mountings and confirmed the clutch and gearbox are fine, but told me the flywheel should be replaced.

Hi there - I believe the problem is more likely with the 1st gear set in the transmission. If the clutch works in one gear, it will work in all gears. While a bad flywheel would cause the vibration and shaking you describe, it would also do so in all gears. There may, in fact be multiple problems at work here. Checking the flywheel, or 1st gear, will require removal of the transmission to access the flywheel, clutch, or to disassemble the transmission to check gear sets for proper operation. I would recommend a engine/clutch/transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.