Q: Turbo producing white smoke

asked by on June 07, 2016

Is it dangerous to run on a turbo that is due? I have an A4 that's producing white smoke. Is it safe to run it and what can happen when it goes?

If it is going out and you get white smoke and you’ve gone to the intercooler and you see there is oil in it, that means oil seals on the turbo are going out. I would advise fixing it very soon because it could throw enough oil in the engine that it could actually flood the engine with oil, then the piston and rods or it could flat lock up and end up straining. I’d advise fixing it sooner than later and if you don’t have too much money, maybe go to a junk yard and buy a used turbo for it. If the problem persists and you want to have it looked at by a professional, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician will be able to determine the cause of the smoke and recommend a repair.