Q: My local mechanic said I need to go to the dealership to have them do the timing on my 2006 LR3 v6.

The p011 code has come on in the obd2. my mechanic says the dealership is the only one who can do this because it requires computers that only dealers have. I am wondering if this is accurate information. If not then what would be the cost of replacing the timing chain

Hi there. If the code is for P0011, then there is an issue with the VVTi system. The Variable Valve Timing solenoids are not functioning properly. First change the engine oil and filter. Then clear the codes by removing the battery cable and hooking it back up. If the code comes back, then the solenoid is not responding and is not adjusting the timing on the camshafts. Then check the harness to the VVTi solenoids and look for anything broken. If there is nothing broken, then the solenoid maybe damaged and would need replaced. If you need further assistance with Variable Valve Timing system, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. My local mechanic said I need to go to the dealership to have them do the timing on my 2006 LR3 v6.