Q: What does the Theft Attempted message mean?

What does the Theft Attempted message mean?

When armed, the theft deterrent system is designed to prevent vehicle content theft. It does this by activating the horns and exterior lamps when a break in is detected. This is a content theft prevention system only, and does not affect the engine starting system.

In this system, the body control module (BCM) monitors the hood, door and rear hatch ajar switches to determine if unauthorized entry is attempted. It also monitors the keyless entry transmitter. If access to the vehicle is attempted without using the unlock command from the keyless entry transmitter, the BCM will sound the alarm and display a THEFT ATTEMPTED message on the instrument panel.