Q: Flickering dashboard lights, total light outage that comes right back on. Burning smell in car.

My daughter has a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The cars interior dashboard lights have been flicking off and on and sometimes go all the way out and come right back on. She now has a bad rubber burning smell that just started yesterday. She took the car to a mechanic and they replaced the fuel pump, noting no electrical issues from the pump. Car ran fine for a few days just to notice the light situation is still there. Is there any advice you can give me so that we can be more informed when take the car back in?

My car has an automatic transmission. It is a 4 cylinder SXT

A: You may want to find a local repair shop th...

You may want to find a local repair shop that specializes in electrical issues. While I can’t say if you actually had a fuel pump issue, I doubt the fuel pump is related to the lighting issue and burning smell. If the burning smell is coming from wiring, there may be a loose wire or short that is causing this issue. While not condemning the repair facility you took the car to, it may be best to find someone who specialized in electrical issues and get the car in as soon as possible.