Q: My truck had no oil so the engine started knocking but I only went maybe a half a mile down the road is my engine ruined

asked by on July 06, 2017

I just gave my truck an oil change a few days back yesterday while driving my truck check gauges light came on and the gauge that shows how much oil is in the truck went red indicating it was no oil then it went back up and the check engine light turned off the the truck started knocking and I tried to get it somewhere where I could pull over and it went about a half a mile if that and it cut off and the power steering was off and I had to manually turn the steering wheel and stop the truck as it was just cruising. I tried putting more oil after I stopped but the oil went in and came straight back out through the bottom of the truck. IS MY ENGINE DEAD? And is purchasing a new engine the only possible solution.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

To answer your first question, "Is my engine dead?", I would fix the leak, add oil and see if the truck runs and if it runs, see if there’s any noise. If the engine does run, and there is no noise, if you’re curious about some principal measures of engine "condition", you can measure cylinder compression and oil pressure. If cylinder compression is reasonable, the engine runs well and has oil pressure, and there is no noise, the engine is not dead. If the engine turns out to be "damaged" (noise, etc.), options are: 1) rebuild what you have; 2) install a used engine; and 3) buy a re-built long or short block. If you want the diagnostic steps referred to above performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will inspect what you have and then advise you as to the least cost option if you end up needing repairs. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr