Q: Water leak from coolant reservoir hose

asked by on June 30, 2016

Hello, ever since I've gotten this car a couple years ago the car seems to slowly leak water/coolant somewhat rapidly. The previous owner told me to always keep an eye on the fluid level and to add water if it gets too low as he was never to find what exactly was causing it. I would check every 2 weeks and refill it as necessary, typically the reservoir would be around half full over this period of time. However, this week when I checked the reservoir it was nearly empty. I keep water in my trunk so I filled it up and headed home. When I parked, I noticed a puddle after some time towards the drivers side of the engine. The source of the leak is where the hose connects to a metal elbow that goes into a large metal block near the intake manifold. This metal elbow had a hairpin of a hole in it and it was sputtering water out of it. I guess my question is will I be able to repair this single piece? Or will more extensive work need to be done to fix this? Thanks.

Thermostat Replacement $141.92 - $702.78 Get a Quote
Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

I think you are referring to the thermostat housing elbow. To answer your question is yes it can be replaced and you should also replace the thermostat and gasket along with the 50/50 mixture of coolant and water. The system should be pressure tested to make sure the leak is the only leak you have before performing the repairs. If you’d like to have this looked at, consider contacting a certified mechanic who can diagnose your leak and make the appropriate repairs to your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr