Q: Why does my 2014 Silverado drop voltage when I turn the steering wheel when it is on park?

Also, the lights dim and then on the dash it says it's losing battery voltage then steering clocks then wants to turn off

Hi, thanks for writing in. GM has been using electric power steering on its most recent models for almost 10 years now. This is a relatively new system that offers a lot of benefit such as increased fuel mileage and reduced emissions, however it is still being fine tuned. One quick check to determine if the issue is mechanical or electrical is to remove the 60 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood which removes the assist from the mechanical components. If the problem is present when the assist is disabled, the concern is likely a mechanical one. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.

• Why does my 2014 Silverado drop voltage when I turn the steering wheel when it is on park?