Q: transmission axle has play or movement.

The dealer did a transmission diagnostic on my car and I was told that the axel has movement which they said can wear out the differential. Just wondering if this is a common problem and how damaging it can be to the transmission? How likely is my transmission going to fail? I havent noticed any problems with the car shifting at all. Thanks. My car has 138000 miles. My car has an automatic transmission.

Hi there. The axle play could be caused by the outer bearing on the transmission to be worn out. The bearing is inside the transmission, so to replace the bearing, the transmission will have to be removed from the vehicle and repaired. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with your transmission bearing issue.