Car cabin smells of AC refrigerant at times and now the A...

Q: Car cabin smells of AC refrigerant at times and now the AC is not cooling after about a month of filling it .

asked by on July 06, 2017

Car cabin smells of AC refrigerant at times and now the AC is not cooling after about a month of filling it .The smell kept coming for about 5 times during the course of the month would last for about 5 min when the AC is first switched on and then goes away . AC used to work normally but now after the 5th incident it has stopped and doesn't cool. The last time there was a hissing noise and then it stopped cooling. Could it be a Evaporator issue. It is a Fiat Grande Punto

If you have detected a refrigerant and oil mist in the cabin, then an evaporator "area" leak is likely. However, any time there is one leak, the entire system should be pressurized (whether pre or post repair) and tested for leaks in order to ensure trouble free operation. To request diagnosis and repair of your system, please use YourMechanic’s a/c diagnostic service page and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.