Q: Transmission does not shift properly

so I was driving down the road 3 days ago, transmission slipped and lost power to the driveshaft, and rolled to a stop. it wouldn't shift into any other gear. today I jump started the truck and it would shift and drive in gear, but when it got warm it lost power to the driveshaft again. the fluid looks fresh, and is full.

A: This may be a sign of a faulty transmission...

This may be a sign of a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This may also be related to the various components that are controlled by the transmission control module.

A faulty transmission control module may cause a delay in acceleration or erratic shifting of gears. The transmission control module has various sensors such as vehicle speed sensors, wheel speed sensors, throttle position sensors, turbine speed sensor, and transmission fluid temperature sensors that all direct information to it in order for it to perform it’s function. Other components controlled by the TCM are components such as a kick down switch, traction control system, and cruise control module. Any of these may also affect the way the transmission control module performs and controls the transmission and the shifting of your vehicle. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your location to properly diagnose your transmission shifting problem.