Q: Limp Mode - SPlutting

Hi, I have a 2014 Jeep Compass. Yesterday I was driving normally and I got warning light and went into limp mode. When pulled over it continues and splutters but not in reverse. There is also a clicking sound when car is turned off.

The check engine light indicates that there is likely something wrong with the engine or transmission in your vehicle and will usually come on in conjunction with the vehicle going into the reduced power mode. This happens when the vehicle computer detects something wrong with the engine or transmission that may potentially cause further damage or present a safety issue. It is important to have this diagnosed as soon as possible as it could range from something minor to something more serious. Unfortunately, there are many different reasons for this light to come on and the best way to diagnose is to have the vehicle hooked up to a scanner which will download the engine fault codes indicating more specifically what may be wrong. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Limp Mode - SPlutting