Q: Car shaking during start up while it is cold outside

Hello, this morning when I started my car is was violently shaking until the engine became warm, almost as if I had a cylinder misfire (No check engine light on). I have also noticed lately on and off a tick, tick, tick, noise every coming from the left passenger side of the engine. In addition at times my car will idle high at start until it warms up. I have 74,000 miles and change my oil every 3,000 miles.

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

You will need to make sure you are using the correct oil viscosity for the temperature outside. If you use the incorrect oil it may cause the VVT system to not work correctly and cause erratic running if one or more valves are in wrong position for start up and once it warms allows correct operation of system.

3. Car shaking during start up while it is cold outside