Q: What could be causing the shaky steering in my Pontiac G6?

asked by on July 27, 2017

My steering wheel is starting to shake violently, but has been shaking over last couple weeks but really just felt like a jump. I recently got a driver's side front tire new and now I can feel the silver spikes that are typical in flat tires. I just bought my tire new from Midas 2 weeks ago and although I feel the spikes on inside of tire the tire isn't flat now. What could be causing this to happen to my car? Thanks in advance.

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Steering wheel vibrates or shakes Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

By silver spikes, I assume you mean wear bars. A new tire shouldn’t be showing the wear bars, so if you see a silver spike protruding from your new tire, it’s probably a nail or some other foreign object. A tire impaled by a foreign object can still hold air. As for the shake in your steering going over bumps, that could be caused by a lot of things. Basically any loose part of the steering or suspension could be to blame. I recommend having a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose and repair your shaky steering. I would do this as soon as possible as your situation sounds unsafe.