Q: Power steering goes out while driving or right after car is started with "power steering service ESC" showing up on the panel

This can go for days without happening or several times in a day. At times the steering wheel shakes and makes an audible rattle. Shutting off the car and restarting it seems to reset it, but sometimes I have to do that several times before it resets

There was a safety recall for some 2004 through 2009 Malibu models for electric power steering issues. The problem can be the electric motor or the steering column itself. You should go to safercar.gov and run the VIN number for your vehicle. This will tell you if there are any open recalls on your vehicle. Also, check with your local Chevy dealer service department. They also can run your VIN number to see if the recall is still open. The recall is a lifetime replacement - one time only - of whichever part is causing the problem. Lifetime meaning regardless of mileage, if the recall campaign covers your vehicle and it was never done, it will be repaired free of charge regardless of age or mileage of the vehicle. If your vehicle is not part of the recall, or the parts have already been replaced once under the recall, then you will need to have a certified technician check both the electric pump and the steering column to find out which is the cause.

3. Power steering goes out while driving or right after car is started with "power steering service ESC" showing up on the panel