Q: Career exploration

asked by on December 19, 2016

I am a student in high school. I have an assignment to find a career and someone involved in this career. I am interested in becoming a mechanic. Would you be willing to answer a couple of question? 1. name and where you are from 2. how much yearly does the average mechanic get paid? 3. what type of schooling did you acquire? 4. what is your favourite part about the job? 5. what is your least favourite part? 6. How did you start off in becoming a mechanic? 7. did you have anyone to inspire you to be a mechanic? 8. how has mechanics changed? 9. what are your responsibilities as a mechanic?

Hello, thank you for writing in. I would be happy to share some information with you. As with most careers, this field requires constant updates and staying on top of the latest technologies. If you are interested in this career, find a position and a company that will encourage you to continue to train and never stop learning. You will also find that this is a very broad field. Where you take it is completely dependent on what you want and how much effort you put into it.

1. name and where you are from
  2. Jessica, Albuquerque New Mexico
  3. how much yearly does the average mechanic get paid?
  4. This is a very open ended question. You can make as little as 20,000 a year to well over 100,000 when you manage your own shop.
  5. what type of schooling did you acquire?
  6. A two year associates degree from technical college. However you will likely need ASE certifications to be nationally recognized as a technician.
  7. what is your favourite part about the job?
  8. Teaching people who are not mechanically inclined to better understand their vehicles.
  9. what is your least favourite part?
  10. Accidents happen even if you are the very best technician, but it never feels good to make a mistake with other’s property.
  11. How did you start off in becoming a mechanic?
  12. I wanted a career that will never die out. People will always need transportation.
  13. did you have anyone to inspire you to be a mechanic?
  14. Sort of, my father was a gear head.
  15. how has mechanics changed?
  16. Parts are not serviceable anymore, you just replace them. Vehicles also diagnose themselves these days. This can be a blessing and a curse at the same time.
  17. what are your responsibilities as a mechanic?
  18. Honesty, integrity, attention to detail, listening, knowledge, and good communication skills.

I hope your assignment goes well, and that you find this information helpful. This is a huge industry and to get a better feel for it, take a basic automotive class. You can also search our website for articles and more information.