Q: Loud metallic clunk and stops cranking when trying to start after removing and reinstalling upper intake manifold,

asked by on March 22, 2017

I removed the upper intake manifold and installed a new fuel pressure regulator. I used a new gasket set including an upper intake manifold gasket, a gasket for the fuel spider/center of the intake manifold, and a gasket for the throttle body assembly. When I put everything back together and tried to start it, it started up pretty quickly then died in about two seconds. When I tried to crank on it again I heard/felt a loud metallic clunk and the engine stopped cranking. I tried this two more times with the same result- the engine cranking for maybe one second then the clunk and it stops cranking on its own.

Hi there. Check the fuel injectors and make sure that they are hooked up properly. A leaking fuel injector will cause fuel to flood the cylinder and hydro lock the piston making the engine stop cranking. Also, check for anything that could be missing. It is possible that during the removal and installation process of the intake may have had a nut or bolt go into a runner on the cylinder heads. When the intake valve opens, the object will enter the engine causing the engine to have a clunk sound as well. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you if you are unable to locate the clunking source on your engine.