Q: Loud noise from 2nd gear up

Loud whurring noise sounding like a lawn mower at 70mph whilst accelerating) in any gear above 2, the noise stops below 40mph. When I switch off the engine the noise continues and sounds like something struggling to stop although it does stop. Some loss to acceleration in 5th, 6th gear on occasions not consistent. No overheating signs. It seems to go quiet when I turn the steering wheel to the left. It's a diesel. Any ideas what this could be?

What you are describing is a noise that a wheel bearing makes when it is worn out. They usually last about 100,000 miles. This part will not affect acceleration or engine temperature. They do however will change pitch, get louder, or more quiet when you change direction. The weight of the car is being shifted off the noisy part of the bearing. It is probably one of the front bearings, but it’s best to check all four for noise. This is done by jacking the car, and spinning the wheels off the ground. If you would like a quote, or a further diagnosis of the noise, consider YourMechanic.

3. Loud noise from 2nd gear up