Q: Putting pitman arm onthe power steering gearbox

asked by on October 27, 2016

I need to know how far up the Pitman arm should be on the gearbox , can I do it with a regular wrench and a cheater bar? The power steering gearbox is already mounted on the vehicle. I don't have a torque wrench. but I wrenched on it as hard as I can without the lock washer. Now I have it on with the lock washer. Just not sure if it's up far enough.

Pitman Arm Replacement $143.68 - $315.31 Get a Quote

Hello there, the power steering gearbox and pitman arm are critical steering components on your 2001 GMC Yukon. The pitman arm must be torqued properly so it sits on the splines properly preventing it from loosening over time. A regular wrench with a cheater bar will not be enough for this job. A qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic should perform the pitman arm repair as they have the specialty tools to torque the pitman arm nut properly so it will not come loose.