Very bad oil leak. I put 5 quarts of oil in my car before...

Q: Very bad oil leak. I put 5 quarts of oil in my car before going out of town. After I drove about an hour and a half it was gone.

asked by on May 07, 2017

My car has a very bad oil leak. It also smells. I put 5 quarts of oil in it before I went out of town, after driving an hour and a half, it was gone and I had to put another 5 quarts in. There's always big puddles of oil under the car. It does not over heat, no smoke. Just the oil leak.

Large external leaks can be readily diagnosed. I suggest you just request an oil leak diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. It’s possible to have multiple leak points on a engine and as many as possible should be resolved. On some engines, though, there are inaccessible seals that require engine removal to service. In your case, inasmuch as the leak is so large it might be from the front crankshaft seal. If that seal has major damage, you will get a big leak like that. Those seals often have a relatively short life. But, all the engine seals, and gaskets, have to be checked as perhaps the valve covers leak, too. If you request the leak diagnostic the mechanic will get this resolved for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.