Q: Oli consumption

I want to purchase this avalon with 98000 miles on it. I have researched the carfax and found the original owner. The trouble is, owner volunteered car uses 1/4 to 1/2 quart oil in 5000 miles. The carfax shows oil changes were pretty regular. Is it ok that car uses oil? It drives nicely and engine sounds good. Also, would it be better to change the oil more frequently? Even with lower miles, I think at least early spring and again early winter is best right? Thank you.

A: As use of that, much oil between oil change...

As use of that, much oil between oil changes isn’t too bad. Honestly it could be that the oil wasn’t completely filled and it was left a little lower than needed. Generally speaking oil changes with conventional oil should be done every 3 months or 3,000 miles and synthetic oil should be changed every 5 months or 5,000 miles. I wouldn’t change the oil much more than that because you are wasting money. If it is burning more oil than needed you may check the antifreeze level and make sure it is filled. If not your oil will burn faster. Or it could be something as small as a minor oil leak. I don’t think you’ll have any problems with the car if this is the only issue. We do offer a pre-purchase car inspection if you would like to book a professional technician in your area to ensure the car is going to be what you are wanting to buy.